Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tammy Scott, mom, Facebook user, and Facebook advertiser

Open Letter to Facebook
Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:35:05 -0500


I am a mom, facebook user, and facebook advertiser (I've held executive positions in advertising and marketing for some of the world's top brands, all of which advertised on facebook). I was appallled to find out this week that Facebook is discriminating against women who feature images of breastfeeding on their wall, and in some cases blocked their accounts. I saw several of the "problematic" (using your words) pictures, and assure you there was nothing innapropriate with them!

I am very interested in finding out why facebook thinks it's OK to discriminate against moms, when they are in fact some of your most active users? They also happen to be the ones responsible for about 80% of household purchases in most parts of the world, so as a past facebook advertiser, I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with a brand that offends them! Based on the number of posts, email chains, and other forms of viral communications in reaction to your recent actions, I am not alone being upset over this issue.

In many parts of the world it is illegal to discriminate against women who breastfeed in public. For example, the UK launched the Equality Act in 2010 (see info at:http://www.maternityaction.org.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/breastfeedingpublicplace.pdf). Perhaps facebook staff need a little bit of sensitivity training on this issue?

I hope to hear back from you soon. I really don't think this will just go away quietly.

Tammy Scott
tammy_scott99@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment